Please note: While every effort will be made to participate in the tour, the trip is subject to cancellation or postponement depending on COVID-19 concerns at the time of departure. Up-to-date information will be available on this page.
For more than 50 years, electric cooperatives across Kentucky have recognized outstanding high schoolers by providing a leadership experience for rising seniors.
Blue Grass Energy offers high school juniors the opportunity to visit Washington D.C. and learn about our country's history.
The Washington Youth Tour is an annual 6-day event in June where high school juniors from across the country travel to Washington, D.C. to learn more about government, cooperatives, and electrification.
During the Washington Youth Tour, delegates will get the opportunity to meet youth from across the country, interact with cooperative and government officials, and visit historic landmarks.
The purpose of the tour is to provide outstanding young people with the opportunity to
• better understand the value of electricity
• become more familiar with how government works
• become more familiar with the historical and political background of the United States
• prepare for their future
The application process is open to any high school junior, whose primary residence is in Blue Grass Energy's service territory. Applications are due March 11, 2022 of the student's junior year of high school.
Winners will also be invited to be a part of the Frankfort Youth Tour. The date for this is yet to be determined.
Rules for entry
1. Eligible applicants are high school juniors living with a parent or guardian who is a Blue Grass Energy member.
2. All contestants are required to write a letter of 300 words or less addressing this question: How can Blue Grass Energy connect with the younger generation of members in new and innovative ways?
3. All contestants will have an interview and will take a brief quiz on cooperatives. This link will take you to a study guide. Contestants will be notified of an interview time after the application is received.